Somerset Wellness Center is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to engendering positive change in individuals over the age of 50 in Somerset County, Maryland, and surrounding areas. We offer a highly personalized approach to health care through education about healthy living, disease prevention, nutrition, fitness, and more, in an effort to help residents improve their overall well-being. As such, we offer a variety of services to meet many needs, including:
- Wellness workshops that teach participants how to better manage their own health conditions;
- Exercise classes that emphasize safe movement, strength training, and low impact aerobic activity;
- Interactive demonstrations and support groups that focus on healthier living, such as weight management, healthy cooking, and tobacco use prevention;
- Access to an educational resource center with printed materials, computers with Internet access, and televisions with health-related broadcasts; and
- Assistance in connecting with needed professionals and community resources.
The goal of Somerset Wellness Center is to provide easy and affordable access to health and wellness information to residents of Somerset County, a small, rural county on the lower shore of Maryland where access to health care services is extremely limited. It is also one of the poorest counties in the State, with the highest rates of breast cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. That’s why it is important that residents know how to take charge of and manage their own health. By managing their own conditions, they can improve their health, well-being, and overall quality of life. At Somerset Wellness Center, we assist residents in reaching their health and wellness goals by helping them find connections to community resources; build a network of friends, supporters, and others with similar experiences; and learn how to take control of their lives.
There is no other place like Somerset Wellness Center!
Founded in 2013, five-year goals include:
- Development of an educational training facility offering classes on health, wellness, nutrition, and balanced living for all area residents, with a focus equally divided between the elderly and those with chronic health problems, as well as a special emphasis on women’s health care.
- Attracting medical service companies to provide smoking cessation counseling, blood work, mammograms, and other health and wellness services vital to our population.